MVC’S MISSION AND VISION
ABOUT US STATEMENT: Mercy Volunteer Corps promotes social change by placing and supporting volunteers for one year of service with people who are experiencing injustices, in any form, in the United States and Guyana, South America. Mercy Volunteers work in education, healthcare, and social services while growing spiritually and simplicity.
MISSION STATEMENT: In partnership with the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, members of Mercy Volunteer Corps (MVC) enter into relationship with people who are experiencing injustices, in any form. In a spirit of mutuality, volunteers cultivate mercy and justice in the world by embracing compassionate service, social justice, spiritual growth, and a simple lifestyle in community.
VISION STATEMENT: Rooted in the spirit of Catherine McAuley and challenged by the Mercy Critical Concerns (Earth, Immigration, Nonviolence, Racism, and Women), Mercy Volunteer Corps is committed to achieving a more just and merciful world. We invite volunteers to join with the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas to:
- Extend compassionate service to those who are experiencing injustice, oppression, marginalization, and disenfranchisement;
- Encourage interculturality and solidarity within Mercy Volunteer Corps and the communities in which volunteers are serving;
- Build community with one another through mutual and intentional relationships;
- Offer accompaniment and presence with people experiencing injustice and those working towards a more just society;
- Embrace the growth inherent in purposefully living out our shared values and recognizing our interconnectedness through reflection and action;
- Integrate the learned values of service, justice, spiritual growth, simplicity, and community into their life experience; and
- Develop an ongoing personal relationship with the Sisters of Mercy and Mercy Community as an integral part of the Circle of Mercy
THEOLOGY OF MISSION
Mercy Volunteer Corps staff, board members, and volunteers embrace the values of compassionate service, social justice, spiritual growth, and a simple lifestyle in community. The mission of Mercy Volunteer Corps is rooted in the Christian tradition and inspired by Catherine McAuley’s commitment to following Jesus by challenging injustice and unjust systems through compassionate service. In partnership with the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, Mercy Volunteer Corps commits to respond as a community to the tremendous disparities of wealth, power, and privilege in our world.
In the spirit of Mercy, Mercy Volunteer Corps seeks to model service that is characterized by mutuality and accompaniment. We strive to respect the life and dignity of all we encounter, ever conscious of God’s presence in all of creation. Through our values, we reach out in love and mercy and learn to receive love and mercy from others. Opening ourselves to God’s transforming grace, we hope to be instruments of peace and agents of change, seeking a more just and inclusive world.
“To connect the rich to the poor, the healthy to the sick, the educated and the skilled to the uninstructed, the influential to those forgotten, and the powerful to the weak…to do the work of God on Earth.” ~Catherine McAuley