SPONSORING SITE SELECTION PROCESS
Mercy Volunteer Corps chooses a service site based on several factors:
- the resonance of its mission with the Critical Concerns of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and the MVC Theology of Mission;
- the formative experience, support, and supervision the site can offer a volunteer;
- its commitment to advocacy and systemic change; and
- the financial and personnel needs of the service site.
When placing volunteers, MVC gives priority to sites that:
- are located in an area where a cluster of sites and volunteer placement opportunities will allow for a community of at least four persons;
- are connected with the Sisters of Mercy (by direct sponsorship or by the presence of a Sister of Mercy, Mercy Associate or Companion in Mercy)*;
- provide direct service and/or advocacy to people who are economically poor or marginalized.
- possess minimal financial and personnel resources to meet their need(s); and,
- demonstrate that the volunteer’s role in the site does not deprive a local person from being hired into a salaried position.
*While Mercy Volunteer Corps gives priority to sites connected to the Sisters of Mercy, MVC extends to sites not specifically identified with the Sisters of Mercy when possible. Proximity to a Mercy connection (i.e., Sister of Mercy, Mercy Associate, Companion in Mercy, co-minister, or MVC Alum) within the geographic area of a site is preferred for site feasibility and the ongoing development of volunteers.
SERVICE SITE APPLICATION PROCESS
New Site Requests
To apply, new sites should:
- email ContactUs@mercyvolunteers.org for a site application;
- review the most recent Mercy Volunteer Corps Handbook;
- submit the completed application and include brochures, press clips, medical and volunteer liability insurance information, and other materials that will help Mercy Volunteer Corps to know the organization better; and
- upon review of the site application, the Mercy Volunteer Corps main office will arrange a site visit from a member of the Mercy Volunteer Corps staff, if the site is deemed a potentially good fit for the program.
Active Site Requests
Active sites must apply for renewal each year. Site applications will be emailed to each active site in late October. All applications must be received by December 1 to be considered for the following service year.