SPONSORING SITE SELECTION PROCESS
Mercy Volunteer Corps chooses a service site based on several factors:
- the resonance of its mission with the Critical Concerns of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and the MVC Theology of Mission;
- the formative experience, support, and supervision the site can offer a volunteer;
- its commitment to advocacy and systemic change; and
- the financial and personnel needs of the service site.
When placing volunteers, MVC gives priority to sites that:
- are located in an area where a cluster of sites and volunteer placement opportunities will allow for a community of at least four persons;
- are connected with the Sisters of Mercy (by direct sponsorship or by the presence of a Sister of Mercy, Mercy Associate or Companion in Mercy)*;
- provide direct service and/or advocacy to people who are economically poor or marginalized.
- possess minimal financial and personnel resources to meet their need(s); and,
- demonstrate that the volunteer’s role in the site does not deprive a local person from being hired into a salaried position.
*While Mercy Volunteer Corps gives priority to sites connected to the Sisters of Mercy, MVC extends to sites not specifically identified with the Sisters of Mercy when possible. Proximity to a Mercy connection (i.e., Sister of Mercy, Mercy Associate, Companion in Mercy, co-minister, or MVC Alum) within the geographic area of a site is preferred for site feasibility and the ongoing development of volunteers.
SERVICE SITE APPLICATION PROCESS
New Site Requests
To apply, new sites should:
- contact the MVC Program Director at email@example.com for a site application;
- review the most recent Mercy Volunteer Corps Handbook;
- submit the completed application and include brochures, press clips, medical and volunteer liability insurance information, and other materials that will help Mercy Volunteer Corps to know the organization better; and
- upon review of the site application, the Mercy Volunteer Corps main office will arrange a site visit from a member of the Mercy Volunteer Corps staff, if the site is deemed a potentially good fit for the program.
Active Site Requests
Active sites must apply for renewal each year. Site applications will be e-mailed to each active site in early November. All applications must be received by the Community Coordinator by December 1 to be considered for the following service year.