My name is Israel Scott and I am the Mercy Volunteer at St. Frances Cabrini…
Believing In A Beautiful Future
Lately, I’ve been reflecting on the words of one of my favorite poets and artists, Morgan Harper Nichols: “I am choosing to believe the future can still be beautiful.”
Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, racial injustice, and environmental crises, the world is filled with great uncertainty and pain right now. It can be easy to feel discouraged— however, when I stop and look around, beauty abounds. To me, believing in a hope-filled future begins with appreciating the small joys brought by each new day.
Some moments of joy that I’ve found in Detroit include:
- having time to read more often and living a house overflowing with books
- the weekly ice cream truck that plays Christmas music no matter the season
- movie marathons with my community members
- exploring the Riverwalk and taking in the gorgeous view of the Detroit River
- celebrating the Kentucky Derby by making DIY Derby hats out of cardboard
As I continue my journey as a Mercy Volunteer, I will strive to appreciate the beauty around me, working towards a future filled with growth, reflection, and love.
Claire Feller: Detroit, Michigan
This Post Has One Comment
i love the creative Derby Hats! You ladies look stunning! The description of your experience in Detroit is charming.